Saturday, April 11, 2009

CRCB - Chapter 1 - Reading in College Summary

CRCB: Chapter 1 - Reading in College Summary


This chapter is all about reading, how to concentrate and be an active participant on what you are reading and different learning styles. Reading, as defined in the chapter is, an active process that depends on both the author’s ability to convey meaning using words and your ability to create meaning form them. In order to become an active participant in what you are reading, a couple strategies learned in this chapter are: previewing reading assignments before actually reading them, ask questions about the chapter and try to answer them as you are reading, outlining the chapter, and mapping the chapter. One of the most important factors in reading is your concentration. Concentration is your ability to make your mind behave a certain way. There are some internal and/ or external distracters that can be concentration blockers. Internal distracters come within yourself, like being preoccupied with something else, being worried about your finances or having excitement of an upcoming event. External distracters come from the environment around you, like TV, loud music, phone calls and unexpected visitors.
I learned in this chapter that there are ways to improve your concentration level and block out those distracters. First you need to recognize what your concentration level is at. You should read for a certain length of time and mark down whenever you get distracted. This way you know how often distractions get in your way of reading. Then you must create an ideal study environment. This means, make sure you have all necessary study materials, avoid reading in social areas of your home, don’t read in bed and turn off the TV. You need to have a positive mental attitude while studying. Something that I want to try is reading the most difficult or least familiar material first. I find myself always doing the opposite and then it is super hard for me to read the harder or least favored material last. I think this technique would help me out a lot in my studying. Another technique I liked that was mentioned in this chapter is to have a journal and to use that as a “worry pad.” I find myself mostly distracted with internal thoughts. I think the idea of having a journal to jot down anything on my mind will free up my thoughts and allow myself to concentrate more on what I am reading or studying. Another technique mentioned in this chapter to help your concentration level is to write a letter. It is similar to having a journal, but this is for if something is bothering you. I like this idea too. It allows you to release whatever is bothering you in writing and then you can get back to studying.
In this chapter, we also learned about different the different learning styles. I think most of us have already heard about these learning styles and probably already have a good idea of which ways we ourselves learn. These types are auditory, visual and kinesthetic. I think for myself, I am a little bit of each learning style. I think the way I learn is in steps. First I like to listen and watch and then I like to do what I am learning. If I learn this way, I feel I am set up for success.

No comments:

Post a Comment