Friday, January 30, 2009

Chapter 2 -TFY - Word Preciscion: How Do I Describe It? - Exercises

“TFY”: Chapter 2 – Word Precision: How Do I Describe It? – Exercises

Word Boundaries Exercise – Page 51




Saved – Malcolm X Exercise – Pages 68 – 71

1. Why do you think Malcolm X could be so confident and articulate as a hustler, yet have so much difficulty writing “simple English”?
I think that Malcolm X was confident and was able articulate well as a hustler, because that is all about “street” talk. He could use slang and speak loosely. He had difficulty writing simple English because it needed to be more proper. On the street, as a hustler, I’m sure the level of vocabulary was not very high, or did not come across as very educated language. When he wanted to read or write, he wanted it to be more educated.

2. What do you think of his practice of copying out every word in a dictionary?
I think that is great! He had the time, so he did it. This is how he was able to learn. For myself, when learning new words, I need to read them, write them and say them out loud. This is exactly what Malcolm X says he did. If I had the time or patience, I would love to do something like he did. I think it is a great way to educate yourself.

3. Why did Malcolm X find it so empowering to learn new words?
I believe Malcolm X felt less than or uneducated prior to learning new words. He was uncomfortable with the fact that when he tried to read a book, he did not understand most of what he was reading. When he tried to write a letter, it was all slang words he used. So when learning new words, this educated him and would obviously make him feel empowered.

4. What motivated him to read in his cell in semidarkness late through the night?
Once he learned and was able to understand what he was reading, it became a passion or almost like a drug to him. The more he read, the more educated he became and the more empowered he felt.

5. Why do you think Malcolm X wanted other to hear his story?
I think Malcolm X may have wanted people to hear his story so they know where he came from as far as education and where he took himself. He wants people to know it is possible to learn and understand no matter where you come from. I think he also wanted to share with people, that knowledge is power.

No comments:

Post a Comment