Friday, January 30, 2009

Journal Entry

Well, today I read the chapters on Vocabulary and how important it is. You really use vocabulary for everything you do. You need it to communicate with others, to write and to read and understand what you are reading. Vocabulary is not one of my strengths.... it is definitely something I would like to improve on. So, I decided that while reading the chapters on vocabulary, that I would write down and look up some words that I did not know the meanings of. Here are some of the words I looked up and their definitions:

polemical - of or involving dispute or controversy

dearth - an insufficient quantity or number

contumacious - stubbornly disobedient; rebellious

factoid - something resembling a fact

plebiscite - a vote by the electorate determining public opinion on a question of national importance

hegemony - the dominance or leadership of one social group or nation over others

heuristic - a commonsense rule (or set of rules) intended to increase the probability of solving some problem

pluralism - a social organization in which diversity of racial or religious or ethnic or cultural groups is tolerated

(I found all definitions for these words using a google search)

I am going to try to keep up the practice of looking up the meaning of words I do not know the meaning to. I think that it will help me understand what I am reading more than I understand it now. I also think it will give me the ability to build my "working" vocabulary when I am communicating with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment