Tuesday, February 17, 2009

TFY - Chapter 8 - Viewpoints Exercise

“TFY”: Chapter 8 – Viewpoints – Exercise

Reading: Why Can’t We Talk About Religion and Politics? – Page 235 – 237

1. Do you prefer to avoid talking about religion or politics?
I would not say that I avoid talking about either religion or politics, but I do know that most of time when either topic comes up; there will be an intense conversation to follow. Both religion and politics are topics in which people have extremely different views and beliefs.

2. At what points do you agree or disagree with the author’s line of reasoning in this essay?
I think this author tries to show how multiple historical figures have combined church and state. I see how it has worked for those people or in those times, but at the same time (as you will see in my next answer) I think church and state should be separate. This country is made of many different religions and all should be respected. This country is based on freedom, but then the government is going to rule based on Christianity. I don’t know, I see that as conflicting somehow.

3. How would you describe your own viewpoint on the issue of the separation of church and state?
I think that they should be separate. I know that is hard to do, but they are two different topics in my mind. I know that politics and religion can be easily connected in multiple ways. I also know that this country is made up of many different religious beliefs. Politics should focus on politics, not religion. The people who run this country should be focus on doing so without bringing their religious beliefs into it. Like I said, I know this is hard to do, but I think whenever possible, church and state should be separate.

No comments:

Post a Comment