Sunday, March 8, 2009

CRCB - Chapter 4: Managing Your Reading Time Exercises

CRCB: Chapter 4 - Managing Your Reading Time - Exercises

Learning Journal - Page 112:
Think about your current approach to reading efficiently. What strategies for you use? Do your current strategies work for you? Are you having difficulty completing and understanding reading assignments? Do you have a goal for your grade in each class you take?

I currently don’t really have any reading strategies. I just know that I need a quiet space to read textbook material and sometimes I need to read the material out loud to myself. I sometimes do have difficulty comprehending the material I read. When I am uninterested in what I am reading, it is hard for me to focus on it. Also, I notice in my medical textbooks, sometimes those are hard to follow because of their level of difficulty. I do have a goal in all of my classes to get an A. No matter what the class, I want to do my best in it and get the best grade I can.


Take One Minute - Page 116:
On a separate sheet of paper, explain why speed-reading and critical reading are conflicting activities.

Speed-reading and critical reading are conflicting activities because speed-reading is reading in chunks and getting the main points without spending much time of the material. Critical reading is reading slowing and taking the time to understand the material in its entirety.


Learning Journal - Page 117:
How can you read efficiently without sacrificing comprehension? Which of the strategies just described (skimming, rereading, subvocalizing, or pacing) would best fit your study habits?

I would say that I currently utilize subvocalizing and pacing to help myself comprehend what I am reading. Still sometimes I find it hard to understand what I am reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment