Saturday, March 21, 2009

TFY: Chapter 9 - Argument Sumamry

“TFY” - Chapter 9 - Argument - Summary

This chapter is about how to recognize and question whether or not you are reading a good argument. In this chapter I learned some questions to ask myself when listening/ reading an argument. These questions help to analyze an argument and to determine if the argument is a “good” argument or not. The questions are: 1. What viewpoint is the source of this argument? 2. What is the issue of controversy? 3. Is it an argument or a report? 4. How is the argument structured in terms of reasons and conclusions? And 5. What are the strengths and weaknesses of this argument? In answering these questions you should know if this argument includes bias and what the speaker’s motives, values and beliefs are. You should also know if this is an argument or report. In an argument, the speaker is trying to advocate for something, when in a report, it is just about giving the reader the information and letting them decide for themselves what they think. You also need to recognize if the speaker gives supporting reasons to their argument and a conclusion which clearly shows what the speaker is trying to prove. I also learned to look for hidden assumptions, words that show prejudice, fallacies in the reasoning, missing definitions or facts, and any false or contradictory information. After analyzing all this, you should be able to accept, reject or suspend judgment of the argument trying to be made. I think that this chapter puts into words what I mostly already do when it comes to argument. I like to think that I have an open mind and try not to judge before I hear someone’s side to the story. Although, sometimes it is hard not to judge, like when you hear stuff in the media. I know for me, when something is said on the news for example, I make my judgments off of that. I should probably not do that and do some more research on certain topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment